I’m not your typical product review guy, but when I stumble upon something interesting and ingenious, well… I become a product ambassador! It’s all about the Spider Camera Holster! Now before I go any further, I just want to clarify one thing; I have not been paid or sponsored to write about the Spider Camera Holster.
That being said, should Spider Holster come across this article, they may give me a discount for future products, unfortunately it would be wasted on me since I’ve already bought everything they sell!
Before using the Spider Camera Holster system, I had been using another product called the BlackRapid Camera Straps. I was generally pleased with the product, however there were a few things that really bothered me. It was hard on my back, and the cross straps that support the system were slowly cutting into my throat. I would often have marks on my neck, and after a day of shooting, my wife would think the bride and groom had tried to choke me because I did a poor job! It was time to look at alternatives.
I had heard about the Spider Holster system, and so I switched from BlackRapid to Spider Holster. I’m definitely not someone who buys something because it claims it’s the best or it’s the sexiest, that’s just not me. Well, I like big cars, but that’s not what we are talking about. I decided to give the Spider Holster a spin and an “ultimate test” before I wrote this. The Spider Holster and I traveled the world together! I started my Asian tour and visited many cities and countries. I was speaking at conferences and workshops, exploring the cities, and partying! I traveled to tropical forests and journeyed to the top of the highest mountains. From staying at 5 star hotels, which my spider holster particularly enjoyed, to 2 star budget motels, where we both feared for our lives, there wasn’t a place I didn’t take my Spider Holster.
From the moment you put the Spider Holster on, it just feels like this is where your camera was meant to be. On your hip, the camera is secured, unlike the BlackRapid system. With the Spider Holster you have piece of mind and you don’t have to keep checking to see if the camera is still there. (Which made me nervous on the BlackRapid system).
I’ve used the system and I love it. I’ve compiled a list of reasons which make the Spider Holster system so good and why you should at least give it a try.
Why I love the Spider Holster
1. When climbing a mountain, the spider system is very convenient. The camera is not hanging on the ropes and pulling you back.
2. It’s great when you’re in crowded spaces like at the markets. Having the ability to rotate the camera and move it so that it’s in front of you makes it even more secure and easily accessible.
3. Washroom Approved! Really, really good when you are going to the washroom. You don’t have to take it off. The camera just hangs off your hip. I really loved this since I hate putting my camera on the public washroom floor! If you are a wedding photographer, then you know this is a big advantage!
4. Upscale restaurant? No problem! You are able to sit at the table and keep the camera attached at all times. (Just like in the washroom!)
5. People will look at you, because it looks so cool. Honestly, I feel like a cop! Sometimes I feel like I have a weapon and I’m ready for a quick draw! Unfortunately it’s a Nikon D3s and not a gun, but they are pretty much the same.
6. Running just got easier. You can run with the Spider Holster, although you won’t break records, it is possible. Just remember to lock the holster so your camera doesn’t fall out.
7. Your back will feel better and you won’t be so tired. The weight sits on your hips, not your neck and shoulders.
8. You can attach the tripod quick release plate to it, a very convenient feature.
9. Shooting with your hand high in the sky is now a reality! The BlackRapid system did not make this possible because you are so limited by the length of the straps. When I shoot weddings, this is very handy.
10. It is much easier to sit in the car, and even behind the wheel with the camera still attached. Just rotate the entire belt around your waist.
11. It doesn’t destroy your clothing!
12. One observation I’ve made since using the Spider Holster, is that I’m more willing to take a camera with me no matter where I go. It is just so much easier to put on and so much faster. This alone makes it worth buying.
13. The people at Spider Holster are very friendly, which is always a nice touch.
I still have to try the Spider Holster System with 2 cameras, but for now the 1 camera system is simply superb. Now every time I’m presenting at a convention and demonstrating my lighting techniques, I no longer have to make people wait because I’ll have my camera on my hip ready to go.
Did I mention it makes a beautiful sound when you slide it in?
For more info about Spider Holster system, please visit their website at www.spiderholster.com.
I’ll leave you guys with a series of photos I took during my workshops in South East Asia.
Until next time,